Our library opened on July 1, 1904 as a free public library. The founders were Mrs. Bruce Wells, Mrs. Henry Buck, Mrs. Louise May and Mrs. Clarence Calkens. They were given a room for the library in Town Hall on Main Street. At first, the Reading Room Society paid for a librarian, books and magazines from their own funds. In 1911 the town passed a special levy to support the library and in 1914 the holdings were officially made town property.
The library remained in the same location until 1983 when it moved to Town Hall on Buck Street. In 1990 Ken and Norma Bangs made a generous donation of the current building where the library has remained since 1991.
In 2004, Stevensville voters supported the library in the establishment of an independent library district, the first in the state of Montana.
The voters supported the library again in 2005 when they approved a mill levy increase that more than doubled the budget.
North Valley Public Library was named Organization of the Year in 2011 by the Stevensville Civic Club.